Skip to main content

130 Years & Counting! Highlights from Alverno's History

Continuing to Grow a School


Mother Stanislaus Hegner
“The day to day choices make us who we are.”
-Mother Stanislaus
Hegner

 

Mother M. Stanislaus Hegner became the third Superior General of the School Sisters of Saint Francis upon the death of Mother Alfons Schmid in 1929.  She is also considered the third president of Alverno College. She initiated numerous changes within the School Sisters’ educational facilities.  These changes led the way to the formation of the current Alverno College. 

Recognizing the need for nursing education, the Sacred Heart School of Nursing was opened in 1930.

St. Joseph Convent Conservatory of Music instituted a change in 1933.  It began offering a two-year curriculum program and was renamed St. Joseph Convent College of Music.

Two events in 1936 brought about further changes: St. Joseph Normal School became Alverno Teachers College and St. Joseph Convent College of Music developed a four-year educational program and was again renamed, Alverno College of Music.


Because the School Sisters of St. Francis recognized the need for nursing education, Sacred Heart School of Nursing was opened on September 22, 1930. The first director at the school was Sister Christopher McGuire.

  
Sister Christopher McGuire   

                   

Sacred Heart School of Nursing Diary
This is the first page of a diary kept by Sister Christopher.
The entry includes the names of the first twenty students
enrolled in Sacred Heart School of Nursing.    
                                   

           

In 1933  St. Joseph Convent Conservatory of Music  began offering a two-year curriculum program and was renamed the St. Joseph Convent College of Music.

In 1936 St. Joseph Convent College of Music became a four-year program and was renamed again as Alverno College of Music.

Finally also in 1936, St. Joseph Normal School became Alverno Teachers College.

Cover of First College Bulletin from 1937
This is the cover of the first college bulletin from
Alverno Teachers College dated 1937-1938.

 

Loading