Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Timeline of Alverno College History

1950

 

In 1950, Alverno College of Music merged with Alverno College becoming a department of the college.

1951

In 1951, Sacred Heart School of Nursing joined with the previously merged schools to form the Alverno College we know today.

 

On March 29, 1951 the new Alverno College was granted accreditation from North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (NCA).

 

This is an account of Alverno's NCA accreditation from the April 7, 1951 issue of the Catholic Herald Citizen.

This is an account of Alverno's NCA accreditation that appeared in the April 7, 1951 issue of the Catholic Herald Citizen.

 

 

 

With overcrowded classrooms and resident halls, it became apparent that a new, larger facility was needed to house the growing Alverno College. A new campus was designed by the St. Louis architectural firm of Maguolo and Quick. With construction plans completed in October 1950, groundbreaking took place on the old Fischer farmstead, a 52-acre plot at the corner of 39th Street and Morgan Avenue, in the early spring of 1951.

 

This is an architect's rendering of the original buildings found on the new campus.

This is an architect's rendering of the original buildings found on the new campus: (from left to right) Auditorium (now Pitman Theatre), Gymnasium (now Athletic Facility), Founders Hall, Corona Hall (originally the first residence hall) and not depicted, the Powerhouse.

 

1952

 

The cornerstone for the "new" Alverno College was laid in a ceremony on Sunday October 19, 1952.


This is a black and white photo of the laying of the cornerstone for Founders Hall October 19, 1952
 

1953

 

This is a postcard of the newly constructed Alverno College. It opened its doors for the first time in September 1953.


This is a black and white postcard of the "new" Alverno College

 

1954

As Alverno College grew, other buildings were added to the campus in the 1950's.

Learn more about Alverno's buildings by visiting the Archives exhibit,
What's in a Name? The Names and Places of Alverno College. [PDF]

 

First was Alverno Elementary School, a laboratory school, where elementary education majors would observe teaching at its best, which opened its doors in January 1954. Itis now called Elizabeth hall and houses the Alverno Early Learning Center.


This is a black and white photo of Alverno Elementary School, now Elizabeth Hall in January 1954

 

 

On April 21,1954 the School Sisters of Saint Francis brought together religious and civic leaders from Milwaukee, the state of Wisconsin, and other states in the Midwest to celebrate the dedication of their "new" Alverno College with festivities held throughout the day.

 

Library entrance during dedication festivities-April 21, 1954
This photo depicts the library entrance during the dedication festivities on April 21, 1954.

 

1957

 

Next built almost concurrently at the north and south ends of campus were Alphonsa Hall and Clare Hall. Both buildings opened in 1957.

 

Learn more about Alverno's buildings by visiting the Archives exhibit,
What's in a Name? The Names and Places of Alverno College. [PDF]

 

This is a black and white photo of an architect's rendering of Alphonsa Hall

This is an architect's rendering for Alphonsa Hall and including Lampe Recital Hall which was built in 1956 after it became apparent that more music practice rooms were needed.

 

 

This is a black and white photo of Clare Hall under construction, ca. 1956

As the resident population outgrew Corona Hall, the construction of Clare Hall  was also begun in 1956. Constructed with Clare Hall was the "Fish Bowl" lobby area.


 

1958

 

At Sister Joel Read's invitation, then Massachusetts Senator, John F. Kennedy visited Alverno on May 17, 1958 to promote his book, Profiles in Courage.

 

This is a back and white photo of JFK on Campus, May 17, 1958

 

 

The class of 1957 raised $500 for their class gift and asked Alverno art instructor and artist Sister Helena Steffensmeier to carve a statue from the Pittsford Valley marble they purchased. The photo below shows the dedication ceremony for the statue, "Mary, Queen of the Universe" held on May 28, 1958. It currently can be seen not far from the La Verna Commons patio.

Click here to learn more about the sculpture and its dedication.


Dedication of "Mary, Queen of the Universe" sculpture, May 25, 1958