Skip to main content

Alverno Then & Now

Clare Hall: Alverno's Second Residence Hall

With mounting overcrowding in Corona Hall, construction was begun on Clare Hall
in 1956. Because of the great need and even though it was barely finished, it opened
its doors to juniors and seniors in January 1957.

This is a photo of Clare Hall residence hall under construction in 1956.

 

 

Here is an Alverno Campus News photo from the February 1957 issue taken shortly after
Clare Hall opened. Students can be seen frolicking in the snow adjacent to the carport
which still stands today.

This is a photo of the then "new" Clare Hall from the February 1957 issue of "Alverno Campus News."

 

 

Here is an exterior shot of Clare Hall taken in about 1977 which also
includes the carport.

This is an exterior shot of the west side of Clare Hall taken in 1957. The carport can be seen.

Clare Hall Interior Spaces

Clare Hall was built to mirror Corona Hall. It also included
a first  floor lounge area. In later years the space was used
for meetings. Below are a couple of photos from the first
Conference of Women Theologians held  at Alverno in
that space in June 1971.

Sister margaret Earley at the first Conference of Women Theologians held in the Clare Hall lounge area in June 1971.

 

This photo shows the first Conference of Women Theologians in session in the lounge are of Clare Hall in 1971.

As in Corona Hall, there are now classrooms in what used to be the Clare lounge area.

 


For a time, after 1977 until 1993 rooms on the first floor of Clare Hall were reserved for
Weekend College students who came to campus every other weekend  from out of town.
The first floor resident rooms are now faculty and staff offices. These newer photos were
taken in fall 2018.

 

This is the current entrance to Clare Hall from the Fish Bowl Lobby.

This photo shows the Clare Hall first floor hallway and was taken in fall 2018.

 

 

A Clare Hall classroom created out of space that was once a lounge area.

This is a photo of a class in a  classroom found on the first floor of Clare Hall. It was taken in Fall 2018.

 

 

 

At the end of the first floor hallway, there used to be a chapel, the Sacred Heart Chapel.
This article from Alverno Campus News describes the consecration of the chapel's new
altar by then Bishop Roman Atkielski on May 8, 1958.

This is an article and photo from "Alverno Campus News" describing the consecration of the altar in Clare Hall's Sacred heart Chapel om May 8, 1958.

 

The space once occupied by the Sacred Heart Chapel is now the home of Alverno's Research
Center for Women and Girls (RCWG). Remnants of the chapel in the form of stained glass
windows and exterior architectural features remain.

This is an interior photo of the Reseearch Center for Women and Girls highlighting the stained glass windows remaining from the former chapel.

 

This is another interior photo of the Reseearch Center for Women and Girls highlighting the stained glass windows remaining from the former chapel

 

 

 

Resident rooms in Clare Hall used to look very similar to this one found in Corona Hall.

This is a photo of a Corona Hall student room. The rooms found in Clare Hall had a very similar appearance.

 

Sometime after the construction of Austin Hall and with a dwindling resident student population,
the second, third, and fourth floors of Clare Hall became home to some of the Sisters who worked
on campus. In 2008, the last of these resident sisters moved out and because of a growing need
for resident student housing once again, these spaces were updated and renovated as described
and pictured in this article from the Summer 2008 issue of Alverno Magazine.

This is an article about the renovation of the second, third and fourth floors of Clare Hall that appeared in the summer 2008 issue of "Alverno Magazine."