The Sister Joel Read Center opened its doors as the Teaching, Learning and Technology Center (TLC)
in spring 1999. The center was built with a focus on science and technology. It houses science classrooms,
the Computer Center and the Media Hub along with the Bucyrus Conference Center. On October 6, 2012
the TLC was renamed the Sister Joel Read Center (RC) in honor of Alverno’s longest-serving president,
Sister Joel Read (1968-2003.)
Alumnae Hall is the only space on Alverno's campus that changed its location without
moving an inch.
Alumnae Hall was part of the original campus construction and its address was in what's
now known as Founders Hall. Its entrance used to be across from the Commons. In this
April 1954 photo taken during the dedication dinner, it was known as the North Dining Room.
The area was refurbished in 1976 as a result of funds raised by the Alverno
Alumnae Association during their annual fund drive. To honor their efforts, the
dining room was renamed Alumnae Hall. Here is a 1980's photo of Alumnae Hall.
In 1987, Alumnae Hall was again redecorated through the assistance of Alverno
Alumnae fundraising using centennial cloth designed by, Carol Gresko ’64.
This photo which shows the cloth is from 2001.
Alumnae Hall was renovated again in 2015 as part of the Promise and Power campaign.
Its doors now open within the Sister Joel Read Center.
Here is an interior view of Alumnae Hall as it appeared in Fall 2018.
The Computer Center used to be located on the third floor of Founders Hall.
This photo was taken in 1984.
Since the spring of 1999 the Computer Center has been located on the first floor of the
Read Center. This photo is from fall 2018.
The Media Hub also used to be found on the third floor of Founders Hall at the
north end. This is how the reception area appeared in 1976. It was known as
the Center for Instructional Communication (CIC) back then.
The Media Hub moved to the Read Center in spring 1999. Here are a couple of photos of the Media Hub
taken in spring 2019.
Prior to 1999, the science classrooms were also located on the third floor of
Founders Hall. This photo was taken in 1954.
Now bright, shiny science classrooms can be found on the second floor of the Read Center.
These photos were taken in fall 2018.